Can I apply for the green card lottery if I'm in the USA on F-1 visa?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

Also, can my friend, who overstayed his visa, apply for the green card lottery? He is in the USA too.

1. Nicolette Glazer

4

Answered . Anyone can apply for the DV lottery. Your friend, however, will not be able to adjust status even if he/she wins because you need to be in valid non-immigrant status at the time you file your I-485 application after 1 October 2013. Good luck!

Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . You may apply for a Diversity Visa while maintaing your legal status, however, your friend with undocumented status rendered himself ineligible for the same.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . You .... yes

Your friend ... sorry, no