Can i apply for SSN without an EAD. What should i opt for in the below said options

Filed under: Immigration US visas

What I couldn't quite find is what exact box to "check" on the SS-5 application form with regards to the L2 citizenship question number 5 bearing in mind my spose is not a US Citizen. I would therefore like to ask L2 visa holders who applied for an SSN without an EAD as to what box they "checked" on the form. Was it:

(A) Legal Alien Allowed To Work
(B) Legal Alien Not Allowed To Work
(C) Other

If you chose either (B) or (C) above, did you follow these guidelines stipulated on the form notes?
"5. If you check “Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work” or “Other,” you must provide a document from a U.S. Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number and that you meet all the requirements for the government benefit. NOTE: Most agencies do not require t

Yes but only if there is a need for it. No EAD means B. If you want the ssn, obtain the EAD and then you will receive for sure.

Robert West

Hi Brian , many thanks for a quick reply. If i apply for EAD now it will take nearly 3 months to get my EAD to hand. But by that time my husband will lose his time to file the taxes. If i put B as my answer can i apply for EAD in the future or doest that say i can not work at all with such an SSN

Also if i put B as my answer , what documents should i attach to support that

This and the other question you posted really are immigration law questions and not Social Security law uestions. I have changed the topic of both posts to reflect this.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

There is some rule which says if an L2 does not have an EAD , he/she can submit their marriage certificate and partner's L1 alien status (i.e., I-94) as proof to get SSN. I did the same and got it. In SSN application L2 has to select the option "Legal alien allowed to work"

The document which confirms the above rule is named as "Employment authorization for nonimmigrants" and you can find the details under "C. Policy - Employment authorization by Class of Admission"