Can I apply for SSDI if I have been a homemaker for 17 years but medical condition now precludes me from working as planned

Asked over 2 years ago - Snohomish, WA

After working from 18 to 31, I decided to be a homemaker 17 years ago when my first child was born; it was always my plan to go back to work once my children were teens. In 2007, I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer, my thyroid was removed & my parathyroids were damaged during the surgery & do not function. I have since been hospitalized twice with kidney failure & hypercalcaemia & my calcium levels are monitored every few months. My mental capacity has been affected by the hypothyroidisms & the kidney failure and hypercalcaemia episodes. What used to be simple tasks are now often hard, my memory is terrible, and depression is much more prevalent; I have a lot more bad days then good. We pay for our own health insurance and getting SSDI and medicare would be so helpful.

1. Gregory E. Tuite

Pro

3

1

Answered . Unfortunately if you have not worked in 17 years you probably do not have the "insured status" to qualify for the SSDI program. SSDI is an "insurance" program that requires payment in to the system. This is the deduction out of you paycheck. You must have 20 quarters of coverage in the 10 years prior to the disability. In other words, you must have worked and paid into the system for 20 quarters out of the last 40 before you became disabled. Since you don't have insured status you will not be able to apply for benefits. Unfortunately this is a common occurrence for stay at home moms. I have had folks with stroke or in wheelchairs who are clearly disabled but ineligible for benefits because they haven't worked. The only other benefit is SSI (Supplemental Security Income), but this is a disability program for people with limited income and resources. Your local social security office could tell you if you meet the income requirements for SSI.

2. Susan J Holm

1

1

Answered . I'm sorry to hear that you are so ill. It sounds like you medically qualify as disabled. Unfortunately, it sounds like you don't have enough recent work history to qualify for SSDI. I will attach a link with more information about the qualifications for SSDI.

If you are sufficiently needy, you may be eligible for SSI. Again, I've attached a link.

Lastly, if you have been widowed, you may qualify under your deceased husband's earnings.

If you think you might qualify after reading the link, please give me a call.

Sue Holm
    Leonard W. Moen & Associates
    947 Powell Ave SW, Suite 105
    Renton, WA 98057
    425-227-4260

3. Robert C. Alston

Answered . In order to be eligible to apply for SSDI, you must have work long enough and recent enough to have those credits still apply. This is important since SSDI is based upon your past work and the benefit is not based upon your current financial situation. If you don’t qualify for SSDI, based on your lack of credits, the only other possible option is SSI. However, SSI is a needs based program and financial resources and income affects your eligibility and the amount of the benefit. The best thing to do is to go to your local Social Security office and apply. They will let you know if you meet the requirements to complete an application.