Can I apply for OPT after my associate degree and make transfer to another school after my oPT expire?

Asked 10 months ago - Vincennes, IN

Hi,
am on f-1 visa in states and planning to apply for OPT after my graduation in college, so I can get more experience on my field because am studying Economics. However, the application for the OPT will be apply after my associate degree not on bachelor degree and I can make transfer to another school after one year for my bachelor degree. pls, it possible for me to do?

1. Stephen D. Berman

Pro

5

Answered . I agree, just ask your DSO, but in addition, my understanding is you are not eligible for OPT if you are not getting a bachelor's or higher.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . Maybe you could, but you need to run that scenario by your school's DSO or FSA, since they are the ones that control your SEVIS record.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Maybe.

What does your foreign student adviser say? He/she controls your SEVIS record.

4. Lalita Haran

3

Answered . I think it is possible but your DSO and your course of study should permit it so check with the international student advisor (DSO) at your institution. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St Ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com