Can I apply for OPT after my associate degree and make transfer to another school after my oPT expire?

Vincennes, IN |

Hi,
am on f-1 visa in states and planning to apply for OPT after my graduation in college, so I can get more experience on my field because am studying Economics. However, the application for the OPT will be apply after my associate degree not on bachelor degree and I can make transfer to another school after one year for my bachelor degree. pls, it possible for me to do?

Maybe.

What does your foreign student adviser say? He/she controls your SEVIS record.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Yes, my foreign student adviser she is the one controls my SEVIS and it told me that it possible. But I need more information on laws line before I move on with it, because some time the adviser may not knowing everything. that is why I need details on it. Thank you!

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Don't put your foreign student adviser 'down'. She appears to know what she's doing. If you want to second guess her, then you need to pay a lawyer for a private consultation ... an internet blog won't give you what you seek.

I will never put her down just telling you my tort not am putting her down. in all, thank you

I will never put her down am just telling you my idea that some time. thank you for your time.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Your adviser is a member of NAFSA (National Association of Foreign Student Advisers) and also has been trained and certified by US CIS to make SEVIS entries. She has access to incredible resources. I doubt that you will find a time when she "may not knowing everything" ... good luck, I'm sure you'll be in good hands with your Foreign Student Adviser.

I agree, just ask your DSO, but in addition, my understanding is you are not eligible for OPT if you are not getting a bachelor's or higher.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Maybe you could, but you need to run that scenario by your school's DSO or FSA, since they are the ones that control your SEVIS record.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Ok...thank you!

I think it is possible but your DSO and your course of study should permit it so check with the international student advisor (DSO) at your institution. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Thank you ma for your time and I will do as you said.