Skip to main content

Can I apply for OPT after my associate degree and make transfer to another school after my oPT expire?

Vincennes, IN |

am on f-1 visa in states and planning to apply for OPT after my graduation in college, so I can get more experience on my field because am studying Economics. However, the application for the OPT will be apply after my associate degree not on bachelor degree and I can make transfer to another school after one year for my bachelor degree. pls, it possible for me to do?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Maybe.

    What does your foreign student adviser say? He/she controls your SEVIS record.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. I agree, just ask your DSO, but in addition, my understanding is you are not eligible for OPT if you are not getting a bachelor's or higher.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. Maybe you could, but you need to run that scenario by your school's DSO or FSA, since they are the ones that control your SEVIS record.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I think it is possible but your DSO and your course of study should permit it so check with the international student advisor (DSO) at your institution. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St Ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174

    Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics