Can I apply for my US citizenship if my passport is expired?

New York, NY |

My passport expired almost a year ago and I would like to know if I can apply for my citizenship with an expired passport.

Where can I get a checklist to of the documents I need to present?

You can go to for a list of the documents you will need. Generally it is best to have a valid passport and consult an immigration attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Absolutely you can. Having a still valid national passport of the country of your soon to become former nationality is NOT a requirement when filing for citizenship. I have some Mexican clients who never had the passports in their lives And a few who don't even know what a Passport really is.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Yes, but it is always prudent to have a valid passport.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Yes. Check the N-400 form instructions, USCIS.GOV.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Recommended articles about Immigration