Can I apply for my US citizenship if my passport is expired?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My passport expired almost a year ago and I would like to know if I can apply for my citizenship with an expired passport.

Where can I get a checklist to of the documents I need to present?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Absolutely you can. Having a still valid national passport of the country of your soon to become former nationality is NOT a requirement when filing for citizenship. I have some Mexican clients who never had the passports in their lives And a few who don't even know what a Passport really is.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Alexus Paul Sham


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can go to for a list of the documents you will need. Generally it is best to have a valid passport and consult an immigration attorney.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes, but it is always prudent to have a valid passport.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes. Check the N-400 form instructions, USCIS.GOV.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,777 answers this week

2,504 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,777 answers this week

2,504 attorneys answering