Can I apply for my US citizenship if my passport is expired?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My passport expired almost a year ago and I would like to know if I can apply for my citizenship with an expired passport.

Where can I get a checklist to of the documents I need to present?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . Absolutely you can. Having a still valid national passport of the country of your soon to become former nationality is NOT a requirement when filing for citizenship. I have some Mexican clients who never had the passports in their lives And a few who don't even know what a Passport really is.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

Answered . You can go to uscis.gov for a list of the documents you will need. Generally it is best to have a valid passport and consult an immigration attorney.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Yes, but it is always prudent to have a valid passport.

4. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . Yes. Check the N-400 form instructions, USCIS.GOV.