Can I apply for my husband's I-94 extension?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

My L1B expired but have valid I-94 till Nov-2014. My husband's L2 visa expired as well and his I-94 is expiring in Dec-2013. My H1 was filed this year but is currently in RFE status. So I do not know if I will get through my H1 or not until October. Can i still go ahead and apply for my husband's I-94 extension now? Can I self-apply or do I need to go through an attorney or my employer?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . Since it is your husband who needs to extend his status, it is HE who needs to apply for it and no one else. To be able to extend his L-2 status, husband will need to provide documentary proof of your still being in valid L-1B status. Always better to file through an immigration attorney, that way husband will be sure there will be no mistakes or omissions which could cost him dearly.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Yes, if you are still in L-1B status.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

2

Answered . He may file for an extension coterminous with your L-1 status.

4. Anu Gupta

Pro

2

Answered . He is currently in valid status. You will find out about the H1 in the next month or so. Suggest you wait. If the H1 is approved, you will need to file a H4 immediately to change his status. If the H is denied, you can file to extend his L2.

If you file to extend his L2 now, and your H1 gets approved, you will still need to file his H4. The problem then is that the petition that gets approved last (L2 or H4) will be his legal status. If it is the L2 and you are no longer on the L1, ...

5. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

1

Answered . You or your husband can apply. But it is best to consult with your attorney.