Skip to main content

Can i Apply for my Green Card and SSN now?

Owings Mills, MD |

My Immigration case was closed administratively a few days ago after i applied to transfer my case to the state in which i reside with my USC spouse. The Judged closed it even though the results of my I130 interview was still pending(the marriage interview went well and it lasted for 10 mins and the lady actually told us that she will approve it). What is the next step and can i apply for my Green car/work permit and SSN while waiting? I really want to start going to school this summer..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You cannot navigate these waters with any reasonable degree of success without competent legal representations.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I agree with my colleague; as you are in removal proceedings you are best served to have competent legal representation. I am assuming that by applied to transfer your case you mean that you moved to change venue to the Immigration Court serving the jurisdiction where you now live. You are able to file your adjustment of status application (which will result in a green card if approved) while your I-130 is pending and definitely after it is approved. Once you have proof that the adjustment application is pending with the Immigration Court you can apply for a work permit. After you have received the work permit you can obtain a SSN.


If it was administratively closed, rather than terminated, once the I-130 is approved, you may either recalender the case to adjudicate the I-485 Or have it terminated and file the I-485 with the Service. Baltimore judges are doing this alot under the Morton memo.

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer