Can I apply for husbands social security benefits if he is receiving retirement even if I have not seen him for over 30 year

Asked over 1 year ago - Vicksburg, MS

I do not know where he is but I have an idea, do not know his social security number. I am currently receiving ssi benefits myself. What do I need to do to figure this out?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Brian S Wayson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go to our local Social Security office, tell them you want to apply for spousal benefits on your husband's account - they will help you find all the information or tell you which information to get. Marriage certificates, social security numbers, birth certificates - all these things would help. They should have helped you check this out when you applied for SSI - since SSI is a needs based program.

    As a spouse, you can claim a Social Security benefit under which you can collect a spousal benefit that will provide you 50% of the amount of your spouse’s Social Security benefit as calculated at their full retirement age. You are automatically entitled to receive the benefit that provides you the higher monthly amount; either a benefit based on your own earnings, or the spousal benefit, and prior to reaching full retirement age, Social Security makes this determination for you.
    After you reach full retirement age, you can choose to receive only the spouse’s benefit, and delay receiving your retirement benefits until a later date, allowing you to receive a higher benefit later based on the effect of delayed retirement credits.

    You must be age 62 to qualify for either type of Social Security benefit. You cannot collect a spousal benefit until your spouse files for their own benefit. If you collect a spousal benefit, and you begin collecting this benefit before you reach full retirement age, your benefit will be permanently reduced.

    Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice,... more
  2. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Follow Mr. Wayson's advice - he has given you a good, thorough and accurate response.

    Best of luck to you.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more
  3. Peter Maughan Lapray

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Brian that the first place to start is at your local Social Security Office. Remember that their hours have been cut recently.

  4. Andrew W. Norfleet


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Wayson has provided an excellent answer.

    If you need additional assistance, please consider using the "find a lawyer" feature, above, or visit to locate an attorney in your area.

    I wish you well.

    Andrew W. Norfleet, Esquire Helping disabled individuals throughout Pennsylvania. www.norlaflaw.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,488 answers this week

2,892 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,488 answers this week

2,892 attorneys answering