Can I apply for husbands social security benefits if he is receiving retirement even if I have not seen him for over 30 year

Vicksburg, MS |

I do not know where he is but I have an idea, do not know his social security number. I am currently receiving ssi benefits myself. What do I need to do to figure this out?

1. Go to our local Social Security office, tell them you want to apply for spousal benefits on your husband's account - they will help you find all the information or tell you which information to get. Marriage certificates, social security numbers, birth certificates - all these things would help. They should have helped you check this out when you applied for SSI - since SSI is a needs based program.

As a spouse, you can claim a Social Security benefit under which you can collect a spousal benefit that will provide you 50% of the amount of your spouse’s Social Security benefit as calculated at their full retirement age. You are automatically entitled to receive the benefit that provides you the higher monthly amount; either a benefit based on your own earnings, or the spousal benefit, and prior to reaching full retirement age, Social Security makes this determination for you.
    After you reach full retirement age, you can choose to receive only the spouse’s benefit, and delay receiving your retirement benefits until a later date, allowing you to receive a higher benefit later based on the effect of delayed retirement credits.

You must be age 62 to qualify for either type of Social Security benefit. You cannot collect a spousal benefit until your spouse files for their own benefit. If you collect a spousal benefit, and you begin collecting this benefit before you reach full retirement age, your benefit will be permanently reduced.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

2. Follow Mr. Wayson's advice - he has given you a good, thorough and accurate response.

Best of luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Attorney Wayson has provided an excellent answer.

If you need additional assistance, please consider using the "find a lawyer" feature, above, or visit www.nosscr.org to locate an attorney in your area.

I wish you well.

Andrew W. Norfleet, Esquire Helping disabled individuals throughout Pennsylvania. awn@norlaflaw.com www.norlaflaw.com DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania and is personal in nature, not professional in nature. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality

4. I agree with Brian that the first place to start is at your local Social Security Office. Remember that their hours have been cut recently.