Can i apply for H1B while mt H4 visa extension is in applied status with USCIS?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hartford, CT


I am planning to file H1B Visa in April '13. My husband will file his H1B extension and my H4 extension on Feb/Mar'13 because his visa is expiring on 15th Aug'13. So my question is that -is it legal to apply for a H1B visa on April'13 when a H4 extension is in filed status by my name ?


Attorney answers (2)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . MOST IMPORTANT ... talk to the H-1B company's immigration attorney.

    Sure, it is possible to file for the H in April .... with a start date of 1 October 2013, or later.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you can but as my colleague indicated, you should see an immigration lawyer to evaluate the merits of your case.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,423 answers this week

2,341 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,423 answers this week

2,341 attorneys answering