Can I apply for food stamps and not have that affect my husbands immigration process?

Asked over 4 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

I am a permanent u.s. resident and my daughter is a u.s. citizen. We have not started any kind of process so my husband can obtain a green card because we dont have money to do so right now, but when we do will the fact of me applying for food stamps or receiving food stamps affect myself of my husband when we are ready to apply for his green card?

1. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

Answered . At the time of the application for your husband,you will need to be in employment and be able to fulfill the requirements of the affidavit of support.
    You need to have income to meet the poverty guideline or have a co-sponsor to join income to meet the poverty guideline.
    The affidavit of support states that your husband will not be a public charge and that you will support him.
    You need more than food stamps to show eligibility for that.

2. Yenniffer Steffany Delgado

Answered . Applying for or receiving food stamps does not disqualify a sponsor, as long as the sponsor can prove that they can provide financial support on the I-864 Affidavit of Support. The sponsor will need to meet certain financial requirements depending on the size of the household and the number of people to whom you are a sponsor. You can check the USCIS website for a current guideline: www.uscis.gov