Can I apply for DACA if I have one and only DUI and nothing else in my record? I've been a good sport except for this one time.

Asked 12 months ago - Petaluma, CA

Recently, I have heard of people who had a DUI and applied for the permit and was granted to them. People that had a lot more going on than I did in terms of bad record. I feel like I deserve a chance, but I'm afraid to apply because I have a baby and I wouldn't want to get deported and have to leave her in hands of her father who is not a good influence for her. We are fighting for custody right now. I still would like to have a permit to be able to work and support her. I have several certificates of excellence from school that say I was a good student. And I can prove I'm a good person. Does anyone know if I have a chance? I know things have changed a bit since it got approved. When I went to court, I represented myself and plead guilty to VC23152(A) AND VC16028(A) thank you.

1. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . You need to speak with an attorney and perhaps a licensing attorney . Representing yourself for the DUI and no insurance was probably a mistake- but it may possible that DACA will be granted.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  2. Lisa Michelle Bassis

5

1

Answered . You need to consult with immigration counsel. They are in the best position to evaluate your options and to position your case so as to maximize your chances of getting a permit.
    Best of luck to you!

3. Brian K Wanerman

5

1

Answered . You need a criminal defense lawyer and an immigration lawyer.

4. Michael Anthony Hernandez

Pro

3

1

Answered . You should consult with a trusted immigration attorney. Generally, you can still qualify for DACA relief even with a DUI conviction.

I would be happy to refer you to an immigration attorney in your area.