Can I apply for citizenship while on probation?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Guilty of misdemeanor, The crime is not deport-able.

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

8

9

Answered . Not likely: you need to demonstrate that you are a person of good moral character. While you are still on probation, your sentenced is not served. You may apply 5 years AFTER your sentenced is served. It is possible to apply earlier, but you need to show a strong record of rehabilitation.

2. Kristina A. Gasson

9

Answered . No, you are not eligible for U.S. naturalization while you are on probation. You should wait until your probation has ended before you apply for naturalization. At that time, you will need to provide information to prove that you served your time and that you have been rehabilitated. Given your conviction, I'd recommend consulting with an immigration attorney before you apply for citizenship.

3. Irene Vaisman

8

Answered . No. best to do so 5 years after probation and any alternative sentencing are completed.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  4. F. J. Capriotti III

9

Answered . I agree with my colleagues ... you can not demonstrate good moral character while on probation.

5. Gintare Grigaite

6

Answered . Potentially, but it depends what it is for. If possible, wait until probation is finished, so that you can show documents you completed it. Make sure you have an immigration attorney to represent you.