Can I apply for citizenship through marriage if I am now married to another American citizen?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Myers, FL

I am a Permanent Resident of the US for the last 3 1/2 years, I got the status through marriage. My ex husband and I divorced shortly after I received my Permanent Resident card. I got married again, and my current husband is also an American citizen (since birth).
My question is: can I apply for citizenship through marriage even though I am no longer married to my first husband, which is the one I obtain my "green card" through?

Or should I wait until I am a Permanet Resident for 5 years?

1. Jorge Ivan Pardo

4

Answered . You need 3 years of permanent residence and reside with your U.S. citizen spouse. In short, the answer is no. You will have to wait another year and a half to apply as a 5 yr permanent resident. Marrying another U.S Citizen re-starts the 3 yr clock.

2. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

Answered . It may be better to wait another year and three months before you apply for citizenship. The divorce soon after receiving your permanent residency will cause concern.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . I concur. It is better to wait. Concerns may turn out to be vital and painful. Defending your LPR status in immigration court - expensive and stressful.

4. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Answered . In order to apply for expedited naturalization you must be a resident for at least 3 years and reside with your current U.S. citizen spouse in marital union for at least 3 years. Thus, whether you are eligible at this time will depend upon how long you have been married to and residing with your current spouse, and we don't have that information.

I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can do the math to determine your eligibility date. Additionally, since you got divorced "shortly" after you became a permanent resident you should expect USCIS to review the bona fides of your prior marriage during the course of your naturalization interview.

5. William Gary Gerstein

Answered . As long as you're married to and living with your 2nd husband, who is a USC, you can apply now.

6. John Grayson Davidson

Pro

1

1

Answered . There is nothing legally wrong with your marrying another US citizen. However, it certainly will raise a red flag with USCIS. Your argument might be that you had your permanent greencard anyway and therefore this marriage puts you in no better position for a greencard. I'm not giving legal advice, just thinking out loud.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | john1davidson@gmail.com | www.LawyerImmigrationLosAngeles.com