Can I apply for Citizenship after 4 yrs of marriage but only 1yr of having my greencard

Asked about 1 year ago - Naples, FL

Am I eligible to apply for Citizenship if I have been married for 4 yrs or do i also need to have the green card for 3 yrs, i got my green card through marriage and i am still married to my husband

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

9

Answered . Read INA 319. You have to be LPR, at a minimum of 2 years and 9 months. That besides the myriad of other eligibility preconditions.

2. Shahzad Ahmed

6

Answered . You must have residency for 3 years AND be in a marital union with your US citizen spouse for that time. You can file 3 months early from the eligibility date.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

6

Answered . You must have the green card for three years and be married to a US citizen.

4. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

3

Best Answer

Answered . You are not eligible at this time. You must wait until you have been a lawful permanent resident for 3 years, and you must prove that you are still married to the same US citizen at the time that you apply for citizenship.

5. Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Pro

5

Answered . To apply for citizenship based on marriage, you have to be an LPR for at least 3 years. The application may be filed 2 years and 9 months from your LPR status, and not a day sooner.

6. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

1

Answered . No. You meet the marriage requirement but you have not had your green card the required 3 years.