Skip to main content

Can I apply for Citizenship 90 days prior to be a 5 year permanent resident?

Everett, WA |

Hi, I got my permanent resident card on 11/26/2008. Can I file for Citizenship on 08/28/2013? If yes,why on the USCIS web page they do not mention it ,and they say it needs to be at least 5 years or 3 years if the person is married to US citizen?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Generally the answer to your question is yes you are eligible to apply 4 years and 9 months after being a green card holder. However, it is best to consult an immigration attorney before applying for citizenship.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. You may file your naturalization application 3 months prior to your 5-year anniversary of being a permanent resident. I have no idea about the USCIS website, but as you will see from my answer as well as that of my colleagues, you may file 3 months before your 5-year anniversary.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  3. Yes, if you meet all the other requirements.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  4. You may apply for U.S. Citizenship 90 days before your required residency requirement (five if your are an LPR, and three if you are an LPR married to a USC). Not every procedural immigration nuance of the U.S. Immigration law practice is ready available at the official sites.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  5. Assuming you meet the other requirements, yes, you can. Perhaps USCIS didn't want to cause confusion.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  6. I agree with my colleagues, yes.

    The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics