Can i apply for citizenship?

Asked 11 months ago - Jonesboro, GA

I committed an misdemeanor back when i was 14 & i am 19 now and ill like to apply for my citizenship, will i be denied because of that mistake?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Christina A Wilkes

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question requires additional information. What was the misdemeanor? We're you charged as a juvenile or an adult? We're you convicted? What, if any, was your sentence? Criminal issues have the potential to have very serious immigration consequences and you would be wise to consult with an attorney in person who can carefully evaluate your criminal case and its possible impact.

    You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney or other... more
  2. Karin Wolman


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My colleague is right: no attorney can assess the consequences of a misdemeanor from 5 years ago without knowing the disposition of that charge. You need the Certificate of Disposition for an attorney to give you accurate information about its potential impact on an N400 application.

    This is general information only. It is not intended as a substitute for legal advice, and does not create an... more
  3. Abraham B. Cardenas


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Probably not but more information is needed. You need to get all the papers regarding the case and go see an immigration lawyer.

    Abraham B. Cardenas, Esquire Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. Florida Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, LLC 8150 SW... more
  4. David Nabow Soloway

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . In addition to the valuable feedback provided in other responses, be aware that the criminal law classification of an offense as a "misdemeanor" is not binding upon the USCIS, and depending upon details such as the maximum possible sentence allowable a "misdemeanor" may be treated by the USCIS as a felony. The assessment of consequences relating to a criminal proceeding (even in some cases where a person was NOT adjudicated guilty) upon eligibility for naturalization and upon other immigration issues can be quite complex, even for experienced attorneys, and it would be unwise to proceed without engaging an immigration attorney.

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

    David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 *

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal... more
  5. Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The juvenile of offense is not trust a misdemeanor , it is a delinquency . Delinquency is rather civil than criminal . You should be able to naturalized . Get an immigration attorney to help you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,891 answers this week

2,742 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,891 answers this week

2,742 attorneys answering