Can I apply for asylum again after 14 years I've been denied when I came down from haiti but I was only 2 and im on tps

Asked about 2 months ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I've came here from haiti when I was 2 my family signed up for asylum but got denied I've been Living here for sixteen years I didn't know anything about this because I was kid. I've got a tps card but it doesn't do anything for me except me not getting deported. I dont know nothing about haiti I thought was born here but I wasn't I really want to stay here anf bea ccitizen

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joanne Tinsley


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . TPS for Haitians was extended in March of this year. If you re-applied by 5/2/2014, you are eligible for an EAD (work permit). Depending on your age and other factors, you may also be eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. An asylum claim at this late date is probably not going to be approved unless you have a credible fear of prosecution and changed or extraordinary circumstances. If it is denied by USCIS, you will be put into removal proceedings. You have a complex case and should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to find out which options may be available to you.

    The opinions expressed by Joanne Tinsley, Esq. are made based on a general understanding of the topic at hand and... more
  2. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you can show that you are in danger of persecution you can try to apply. If you missed the one year filing deadline you may still be eligible for withholding of removal if you can show it is more likely than not that you will be persecuted in Haiti.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . A lot depends on a number of facts you did not disclose. You should talk to an immigration attorney in person.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,640 answers this week

3,076 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,640 answers this week

3,076 attorneys answering