Can I apply for Advanced Parole with approved VAWA?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I was approved for VAWA. I filed a self petition for VAWA. I am a male, i filed when I was 23 years of age. The abuser was my father. My father is a LPR. I was not able to apply for adjustment of status because my father is a LPR. I need to wait for a visa to be available for my priority date. I am a Mexican citizen. I have been in the US since 2001. My VAWA was approved in 2010. My question is, would i be able to apply for advanced parole?? I would like to take a class abroad and would like to know if i have any chances of getting advanced parole. Thanks for your help.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Advance parole is an immigration document issued by the United States. It is not a re-entry permit; it is only issued to aliens without permanent residency. Advance Parole is permission for certain aliens, who do not have a valid immigrant visa, to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. Such aliens include those who have applied to adjust their status to that of permanent resident or to change non-immigrant status. Advance parole must be approved before the applicant leaves the United States, or any residency application will in general be denied.

    You need to file for AOS Adjustment of Status Form I-485 first.

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more
  2. Filex Alexandro Sanchez

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You could file a U Visa if you have documented proof that you were the victim of a violent crime and you cooperated with authorities. I would look into this option as well. Additionally, what is the status of your mother? Did your father ever submit a Petition for Alien Relative (I-130) on your behalf or your mother's behalf? What is your priority date? The Visa Bulletin in currently in October 8, 2010, so if you filed the petition prior to that date, your priority date is current. However, you must immediately apply for your adjustment because you can age out. Another alternative is to request deferred action (either DACA if you qualify, or regular deferred action with the Vermont Service Center). If granted, you could subsequently request a travel document. Hope this helps!

    The answers provided should not be considered legal advice. They are for general information only. It is always... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,375 answers this week

2,424 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,375 answers this week

2,424 attorneys answering