Can i apply for a work permit while my case is pending ?

Asked about 4 years ago - Worcester, MA

My asylum cause is pending and master hearing court in April 2011, I have a fully U.S wife till yet we didn't file a petition should do that or we can go for an adjustment of status , it's possible to apply for a work permit or a diver license please ?. Thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, your wife can sponsor you for a green card before the Immigration Judge. Her I-130 petition will be decided by the USCIS, and your I-485 adjustment of status application will be decided by the Immigration Judge. Along with the I-485, you should submit an application for an EAD work permit. This will enable you to apply for a social security card and a drivers license.

    For additional information, please see

  2. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Retain a lawyer to discuss your case.

    You can start the process of the GC via your wife.

    Since you are in deportation proceedings the process is rather different, contacting the lawyer will shed some light on your case.

    You are welcome to use the link provided below.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,478 answers this week

3,136 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,478 answers this week

3,136 attorneys answering