Can I apply for a visa for my husband if I am not currently in the US .. how can I make my infant a US citizen if I'm abroad?

Grand Rapids, MI |

I am a US citizen stranded in Algeria looking for information on how to get my husband and newborn child home with me .. if anyone can help it would be a tremendous blessing thank you very much for your time. Can I lose my citizenship if I am not in he US for more then a year?

You can start the petitioning process from abroad. If your husband needs an affidavit of support, though, by the end of the petitioning process you will need to be domiciled or prove that you will be domiciled in the U.S. when he is ready to immigrate.

Whether your child automatically acquired U.S. citizenship at birth or needs to be petitioned along with your husband requires a more detailed analysis.

Very specific requirements have to be met before a U.S. citizen can lose her citizenship. This too requires a more detailed analysis.

The answer above is only general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known and detailed research has not been undertaken. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers require an investigation into all facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. Use these answers at your own risk.

I really appreciate the time you took t answer my question with detail and I am very thankful for your help.

You cannot lose your citizenship if you've been gone for more than one year. You can file an I-130 visa petition for your husband and he can process through the consulate. If you can, register the birth of your child abroad and obtain a passport from the U.S. consulate.

Thank you for your response it was very helpful and I appreciate the help of an informative answer.

These are heavy issues to be talking about. You should hire an attorney or visit the US Embassy.

I do not have money for a lawyer thank you for your response it was very helpful.

You cannot lose your citizenship. You can file an I130 for oyur husband and consular process his green card. You can register your child's birth at the US Consulate. Consult an immigration attorney

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you can petition for your husband from abroad. You also need to register the birth of your child with the nearest U.S. Consulate.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: info@moralespllc.com (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

Thank you for your response .

Marriage and prenups topics