Skip to main content

Can I apply for a second F-1 Visa ?

Dallas, TX |

I've overstayed my F1 Visa with more than 5 months so I couldn't file a reinstatement, now i am back at my home country, and I want to know If I will be able to get another F1 visa to continues my studies in the USA or not.
I wasn't involved in any unlawful employment or didn't have any bad records of any kind, the overstay was mainly because a misunderstanding between me and my DSO.
Thank you

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes, you can re-apply. It is up to the US Consul to decide if they give you another one.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. Again, apply you can, but whether you'll actually obtain the visa is very much in doubt (an understatement ) based on the facts you cite here. But, don't take our word for it, just try and you shall see what you shall see. If you like the English language that much., why not apply for a student visa in Canada, UK or even Australia? It'll be cheaper and you'll end up speaking (and writing ) much better than most of us here, why not give it a try? Why this obsession with the US?

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Yes

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics