Skip to main content

Can I apply for a public trust clearance if I was out of status last month (currently in status)?

Baltimore, MD |

I held a public trust clearance when I was on OPT. I am currently going through the green card process and have a new EAD card and I am weeks away from our interview.
During my transition from F1 to resident, I was out of status for a year, but I did not leave the country.
Will this be an issue when applying for the public trust clearance? Where can I get clear information about the clearance where is concerns immigrants?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Obtaining the level of security clearance you desire for the job should not be a problem once you obtain green card status. Once you are in green card status I don't think you'll be asked to explain any period(s) during which you fell or were out of status.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You may apply for the clearance and the decision will be made with respect to all disclosed information whether you qualify with your background.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


You will have to inquire with the clearance granting authority.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Ask clearance granting authority

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko



Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer