Skip to main content

Can I apply for a Green Card with an expired passport? I am unable to obtain extension or a new passport through my country.

Jersey City, NJ |

I entered the U.S. under a F-1 student visa back in January of 2010. I am currently under a H1B status and am working full-time. I plan on filing for a Green Card in about two months through my employer with my MBA (masters degree). My current passport is expiring this month and I am unable to extend my passport time frame or obtain a new passport from my country due to not fulfilling my military services.

Am I able to file my Green Card and have an opportunity to be approved with my current situation of having an expired passport? Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes. You can apply for LPR status with an expired passport.


Yes, you may apply for a Green Card with an expired passport.

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.


You do not need an unexpired passport to file for adjustment of status.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Dear Sir or Madam:
You will not necessarily need a passport to apply for a "green card", however, you will obviously need a document such as a passport or reentry permit to travel internationally.


You do not need to renew your passport in order to apply for your GC under the facts you present. Good luck to you.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer