Can I apply for a Green Card with an expired passport? I am unable to obtain extension or a new passport through my country.

Asked over 1 year ago - Jersey City, NJ

I entered the U.S. under a F-1 student visa back in January of 2010. I am currently under a H1B status and am working full-time. I plan on filing for a Green Card in about two months through my employer with my MBA (masters degree). My current passport is expiring this month and I am unable to extend my passport time frame or obtain a new passport from my country due to not fulfilling my military services.

Am I able to file my Green Card and have an opportunity to be approved with my current situation of having an expired passport? Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

4

Answered . Yes. You can apply for LPR status with an expired passport.

2. Alice Antonovsky

2

Answered . Yes, you may apply for a Green Card with an expired passport.

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . You do not need an unexpired passport to file for adjustment of status.

4. Leslie I Snyder

2

Answered . Dear Sir or Madam:
    You will not necessarily need a passport to apply for a "green card", however, you will obviously need a document such as a passport or reentry permit to travel internationally.

5. Yolanda Navarrete

Answered . You do not need to renew your passport in order to apply for your GC under the facts you present. Good luck to you.