Can i apply for a green card if my husband is incarcerated?

Asked over 1 year ago - Far Rockaway, NY

It is a ver hard to believe story but i married my now husband almost 2 years ago while in jail. (He is still in until 2014) it is a legit marriage with an age difference of 20 years. Like i said before hard to believe but true! I have the daca law which gives me a ead card for two years. My question is can i apply for a green card if my husband is in jail? I know about the income process but is it possible? If not is it going to be hard when he comes out because of his record?

He has a felony (burglary) which happended long ago.

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

9

Answered . It's a tough fact pattern, but you can try...

2. Alice Antonovsky

1

Answered . As my colleagues state you have a tough road ahead of you. It is not impossible, but be prepared to defend the bona fides of your marriage. I suggest you meet with an experienced immigration attorney, who will be able to review your situations, review your husband's conviction record and advise you accordingly. Good Luck.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

Answered . If he is in jail, you may have a VERY difficult time proving the bona fide nature of the marriage. It is not impossible but you should meet with an attorney who can review the evidence that you would present in support of the marriage. He can be precluded from petitioning for you depending on the nature of his conviction. The attorney will also discuss this with you.