Skip to main content

Can I apply for a certificate of citizenship (form N-600) while incarcerated?

Miami, FL |

I derive citizenship from my mother who became a US citizen when I was 16 years old in 2001. i am currently incarcerated serving a prison sentence and wHEN I came to the prison, an ICE Agent interviewed me, i told him i derive citizenship through my mother but I haven's applied for it, so now I have a immigration hold. I want to apply for the N-600

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes, your attorney can assist you.

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


N-600 requires that you appear at an interview. So it's hard. But as to can you file it, sure.



You do not mention whether or not you already were or subsequently became a lawful permanent resident when your mother naturalized. It would be wise to double check your eligibility to file the N-600 before doing so. If you cannot consult with an immigration attorney by telephone or e-mail while incarcerated, you may wish to determine whether a family member or friend could do so on your behalf.

Best wishes,

Ms. Doerrie's answer to your question is general in nature, as not all facts and circumstances relating to the specific person(s) and situations involved are known to her. Ms. Doerrie recommends consulting with an immigration attorney regarding your specific facts and circumstances prior to making any legal decision or submitting any form or application. This response does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.



I came to the US at age 10 with a permanent resident status.


Yes. Also make sure your attorney asks for a Joseph hearing regarding your detention. The Immigration Judge should evaluate your citizenship claim towards your remaining detained.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.


It is very important that you assess with an attorney specializing in Immigration & Nationality Law whether you in fact derived citizenship and whether or not you are subject to mandatory detention or eligible for release from custody under bond.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer