Can I apply for 4 to 1 visa staying in India ?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I am on 4 visa now , and going to India in this week . I am planning to file for 1 - B visa this April and found an employer also who can process my 1 - B . so should I be present in US while my process is being done or is it OK if I will be outside of US also

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

1

Answered . If you want to change status, you have to do so in the US.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . Although you left out the proper visa 'letter' I will assume you are talking about H-1B and H-4 visa classifications.

Yes, not only is it possible for your future employer to get an approval for H-1B while you are in India, it is preferable, from a US government standpoint.

One thing to keep in mind, you won't be allowed into the US before September 20, 2013.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . In either scenario your presence here is not required. H1B is sought by an employer and b1 you cannot get inside the US anyway, you need to do it at the consulate.

4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

1

Answered . H-1B employer can petition while you are here in the U.S. or seek consular process if you are abroad.