Can I apply COS from F1 to H4 before my wife's H1b starts on October 1st.

Pontiac, MI |

Both me and my wife are in OPT ext., unfortunately I didn't win the lottery for H1b but she got it and it is approved already in June 2014. Can I apply Change of status for H4 before 1st of October when her h1b starts, do I need her H1b paystubs for my i539 form or HER current paystubs in OPT ext. is good for my application. My opt ext. expires on October 9th 2014.

Yes, it can be don ... you just request an October 1, 2014 start date. You may get an RFE for the pay stubs, or, you may not.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

So do you think that I should apply COS on 1s t of October and by the time if there is any rfe she will have her H1b paystubs available. But this will be very close to my opt extension end date, ie oct 9th!

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Yes, it will be very close. Be smart ..... hire a lawyer to do the papers and monitor the process.

You can file for change of status with an October 1, 2014 start date of the change of status.

The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this site. Accordingly, the information on this site is provided with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting, tax, legal or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult the appropriate professional. While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained in this site has been obtained from reliable sources, Renee Dagher, is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information in this site is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event will PwC, its related partnerships or corporations, or the partners, agents or employees thereof be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken in reliance on the information in this Site or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. Certain links in this site connect to other websites maintained by third parties over whom Renee Dagher has no control. Renee Dagher makes no representations as to the accuracy or any other aspect of information contained in other websites.

Recommended articles about Immigration