Skip to main content

Can I appeal a restitution amount

Old Bridge, NJ |

my wife was ordered to pay restitution of 10,000 but we do not have the funds to repay this amount. Can we appeal the court order, or file chapter 7 to get the amount reduced?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I would need more specific information to give you an accurate answer. This information would include what type of matter it was and whether the restitution was ordered after a hearing or a consent decree. You should contact an attorney who focuses on bankruptcy law to discuss the Chapter 7 issue. Certain court related penalties and orders are not dischargable.

Best of luck.

Joshua H. Reinitz, Esq.
Iacullo Martino, LLC
(973) 235-1550

If you find this response helpful, please click on the “thumbs up” button at the bottom.

Disclaimer: The information here is general and not intended to be construed as legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice contact a qualified attorney.


It isn't clear from the question if the order came from a criminal court or a civil court. If it is criminal, then generally it must be paid. If it is civil, then it gets into a nuanced area of bankruptcy law covering the nondischargeability of certain debts. You will definitely need a lawyer for this.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer