Can I anonymously report a restaurant that pays their employees under the table?

Asked 8 months ago - Ferndale, CA

I worked at a restaurant for 4 months and our bosses did not give us pay checks or any legal documents what so ever. All we were given was cash at the end of the day. We would wash dishes and handle food. Long story short they were very unfair and screwy bosses and I do not work there anymore. If I were to report them (who would I even report to?) could I still remain anonymous? Also It might be good to add that I am a minor (16)

1. 2

Answered . What you describe is blatant California labor code violations. It likely means that you are owed compensation and that your employer is liable for penalties. It would be wise to consult an employment attorney so you can do a deep dive into your specific facts.

Most employment attorneys who take on these type of cases offer free consultations specifically to analyze the facts in the case for legal issues. You would benefit by engaging an employment attorney on this matter. Many are here on this forum or you can go to cela.org where most of us are a member.

Good luck to you.

2. 1

Answered . If you were terminated contact a local labor law/employment attorney - many offer free consultations

3. Answered . Yes! You can call the Labor Commissioner's office in your local area. First, file a claim for unpaid wages. Then, discuss the practices of the restaurant. I believe that you can tip off the Labor Commissionr's office anonymously, but, if you file a claim obviously the employer will know that you are likely the one who told the Labor Commissioner about their ongoing violations.