Can I amend my taxes in order to claim unemployment from a job incorrectly categorized as an independent contractor?

Asked about 2 years ago - Portland, OR

I fell into a job that wasn't expected to, but turned out to be, a full time job. Long story short, I was kind of strong armed into a lot of things related to this job I wasn't comfortable with- one being told I was an "independent contractor." I was absolutely NOT an independent contractor, and now I've been laid off/fired. I was honestly suspicious of this categorization and after looking into it a bit I brought it up, but this employer was more than a little intimidating and I just didn't want to push the issue. Can I somehow change my employment status and claim unemployment? I'm afraid I will get in trouble for not filing my taxes correctly but I have heard I might be able to amend my taxes and clam the income properly- which would be preferable regardless of unemployment benefits.

1. David A Schuck

2

Answered . Whether you were an independant contractor is a matter of law. There is a complex test for the employment department. (for wages and for taxes, etc.) Whether you fit in that defintion is something for the employment department to decide.

2. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

1

Best Answer

Answered . You want to amend to claim the withholding that the employer didn't withhold? IRS wants its tax. You may or may not be an independent contractor. Turning them in may cause IRS to investigate them, but it won't generate cash from non-withheld funds.

You would have to have IRS go against them an win, and then there would be no guarantee for unemployment as the unemployment insurance/tax wasn't paid either. That is the state's prerogative. Have Oregon labor investigate too. You have a long road to establish and I'm betting that the state may not grant you until you prove it and until they are able to collect it from the employer.

It sounds like a long and interesting journey.

Contact local state employment counsel and a tax attorney immediately.

3. J Christopher Minor

1

Answered . This is not an income tax question but, rather, a question of whether you were or were not an independent contractor and whether your employer should or should not have been paying unemployment taxes.

I think you can make a claim, if in fact you were an employee, and it may or may not lead to tax issues being raised. However, I think it is certain that if the tax issue is raised, your employer has much more to worry about than do you.