Can I amend my filed uncontested divorce in Tennessee?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sevierville, TN

I filed a no fault divorce he is now refusing to sign papers. I am trying not to have to pay a lawyer for financial reasons. He has committed adultery and has a lengthy criminal record including charges for domestic assault and child abuse. We have no minor children or real property except cars.

1. Taurus Martin Bailey

1

Answered . Yes, you can ask the court for leave to file an Amended Complaint for Divorce. The Amended Complaint will supersede the original complaint, so I would be sure to include the grounds of adultery, abuse and violence and anything else from the original Complaint. I suggest that you use an attorney. This is going to likely be a contested divorce, however, without children or property it may not drag too long with the proper counsel.

2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

1

1

Answered . Yes. You must ask the court for leave to file an amended Petition for Dissolution. I assume you now want to put in grounds of adultery, abuse and violence. You can visit your local law library for help wording the grounds properly for your state. If there is abuse and violence you may need a restraining order against him. Please contact the local bar association to get information for what you can do to get one. They should have resources to help you.