Can I amend a motion for protective order in a civil case before it's heard?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I filed and served a motion for protective order but I decided that i want to add more facts to it, that I think would make it more successful in terms of it being granted. Is it possible that I do that? And if so, how many days before the motion hearing date do I have to file and serve it? Would I have to submit a whole new motion or can I just file and serve the amendments?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

5

1

Answered . There are different types of protective orders, so you need to clarify what your purpose is. In some instances, you would actually be making an ex parte application for a temporary restraining order, followed by a regularly noticed motion for protective order or preliminary injunction. Generally speaking, a noticed motion requires 16 COURT days notice before it is heard. Therefore, any amendments would also require 16 court days before the hearing.

2. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

4

1

Answered . You are probably better off simply withdrawing the first motion, and then refiling. It will result in a much cleaner record, particularly if one side or another will later seek to appeal an adverse trial court decision/order.

3. Sagi Shaked

Pro

3

1

Answered . In general you can amend a motion but would have to provide opposing counsel with the proper time to respond if they wish. So you would have to reset hearing date.

4. Timothy John Broussard

Answered . if adding facts, you need a declaration. Typically must be done by re-filing your motion. However, your opposing party will likely file an opposition and you may be able to add facts without declaraiton by a Reply Brief instead. Sometimes the courts may ingnore the additional facts, but if its germaine to the Motion, it might be fair game. But, re-filing is a better choice if these additional facts are critical to the PO.

This email does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.