Can I amend a divorce decree after it has been finalized?

Asked about 1 year ago - El Paso, TX

My ex-husband was threatening me during our divorce. I was afraid of him and signed a non-contested divorce. We incurred over $30000 of credit card debt during our marriage and now I am left to pay that by myself. Can he be obligated to pay any of this debt?

1. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

2

Answered . Your question requires a multi-faceted answer. If the decree was signed more than 30 days ago, it's too late to appeal or ask for a revision. If the decree was the result of a mediated settlement agreement, you are stuck with it regardless of when the decree was signed.

If the decree was signed within the last 30 days, you might file a motion for new trial claiming duress in the case. This is a hard burden to establish. You'll need a lawyer to have any chance at being successful.

2. Maria Sara Lowry

2

Answered . It sounds like you chose not to hire a lawyer during the divorce. That choice may end up costing you $30K.

Unless the divorce was signed within the last 30 days, you are probably stuck, because the property division may not be able to be re-opened.

Do hire an attorney for a consultation, because there may be some avenues of appeal open to you.