Can i amend a complaint4error if i didn't include bad faith but had to file a motion2compel arbitration for delay if SOL passed?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

Its been about 3 years and the case is still open,. It was a car accident and did go to arbitration,where the bad faith happened. I have seen the courts liberally rule in favor of amending complaint if it is a clerical error/oversight and this indeed was. I know insurance bad faith is two years.
I don't want to file breach of contract for failure to fully investigate(that was bad faith, too).

complaint filed; motion to compel arbitration filed 3 years ago and arbitration happened about six months later; so, what I am focused/confused on, is if I can add a bad faith cause of action three years later? It was a clerical error/oversight and should have filed it when I had to file a petition to compel arbitration for delay three years later (that had a different case number).
I did have an attorney that couldn't finish the case due to personal issues and had to almost close their practice, so I had to finish myself.

1. Jannik Patrick Catalano

14

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your description of events is a little hard to understand. As a matter of pleading, you typically can amend to add new causes of action that relate to the facts originally pleaded in the original complaint; that is, new causes of action based upon the same facts will "relate back" to the filing of the original complaint and deemed within the statute of limitations. Therefore, it will really depend on what you alleged in your original complaint. This analysis can be complicated though, so you will likely need to consult an attorney to address this issue.

2. Joseph Torri

11

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. I am a little confused about the post. Feel free to re-post with more details. In general, amending a complaint can be accomplished. Did you consider hiring an attorney for help?

3. John Noah Kitta

11

1

Answered . Generally, the courts are liberal in allowing amendments within certain defined criteria. Your facts seem extraordinarily complicated and I would strongly urge you to seek out legal counsel. If you call the County Bar Association you can arrange a telephone call or a meeting with an attorney experienced in this area of the law for a very small cost, normally $30. If your finances are not in good condition there maybe a limit4d means panel where attorneys may be available without charge. Otherwise go on the internet and find some experienced attorneys in your area who represent clients with bad faith claims. Many of them will allow you to have a first visit without cost. It’s very confusing that you have two case numbers, so mention that to the attorney you speak with.
    __

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

9

1

Answered . I have read your post a couple of times and it is hard for me to pull out a coherent question. You mention an attonrey. Talk to that professional about your situation.

5. Marcus William Morales

7

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The relation back rule allows the new cause of action to be within the SOL, assuming the original summons and complaint was filed within the SOL and the facts are the same or similar. Most courts are liberal with allowing the amended complaint to relate back for SOL purposes. You need an attorney ASAP.