Skip to main content

Can I adopt a 20 years old boy from another country?

Alameda, CA |

I am a US citizen and want to adopt a 2O years old boy. He has his parents back in his country but they are unable to pay for his education. So, I want to help him out.

He is already in the states. He has F1 visa and has been to a college for 1 year.

Attorney Answers 3


In most states the maximum age for adoption is 16.

Good luck

Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
Hassan Elkhalil
(770) 612-3499

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


If you are hoping to adopt him so that he can obtain immigration benefits, the answer is no. To be able to receive immigration benefits, the adoption has to take place before the age of 16. You may look into other options by consulting with an experienced immigration attorney.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Possibly, but he will not get any immigration benefits from the adoption.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics