Can I adjust my status to a Permanent Resident while I'm in the US on a B2 visa?

Asked about 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I am currently here in the US on a B2 visa and this is my second visit here. I was wondering if I can apply for an adjustment of status from B2 to a Permanent Resident? My mother is a Permanent Resident and will not be a US citizen in 2 more years and I will be 21 by then. I am 19 and unmarried. My mom and dad is separated, and I am the only one left in my family back in my home country because all of my siblings are all US citizens here. I clearly intended to the immigration back when I applied for a B2 visa and at the port of entry that my mother is here on a Green Card (if all that matters).

1. 15

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. 8

Answered . You can only adjust status if you have an approved I-130 and a current priority date. You did not mention any cases filed for you, so you and your mother need to schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney to plan a course of action for you. Do not overstay your visa admission.

3. 6

Answered . I agree with the other attorney, do you have a current priority date? Hire an attorney you don't want to risk aging out and losing the ability to adjust in the future. My firm handles family based immigration matters in NY.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

4. 5

Answered . Only if you have an approved I-130 with a priority date that is current.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

5. 3

Answered . I agree with what has been written already. Consider meeting with an attorney before you take any action.