Skip to main content

Can I adjust my status from an A-2 visa to permanent residency under section 13?

Washington, DC |

I came into the United States in 2006 as a diplomatic dependent. My Dad holds an A-1 visa. My visa has been renewed twice, but expired last year. I didn't bother renewing it because I was told that since my I-94 had (D/S ).

I am currently out of status and looking at the possibility of adjusting my status under section 13 for Diplomats. I would like to know if I meet the requirements listed for section 13. I just graduated college with a BA. I'm 25 years old and about to enroll for a Master's degree next spring. I have never worked illegaly in the US and have not been convicted of any crime in the US.


+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


consult with a qualified immigration attorney but it appears you may qualify but you should have a discussion with the attorney.

Please be advised this answer is for informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been formed. You should also see a local attorney for legal advise before acting on any of the statements given to you online as there may be aspects of your case that are not obvious by the question asked online.


You may be required to waiver diplomatic immunity in order to proceed with your adjustment. I had a similar case years ago where we had to complete form I-566 but my client was eventually granted LPR status.



Thanks for your response. I would like to speak to you on how to go about this issue. Iam willing to waiver diplomatic immunity, but what are the chances of getting LPR status? Do I also need an employer to sponsor me? Thanks.

Larry F Chin

Larry F Chin


Typically, you would need either a family member or employer to sponsor you. If you are out of status, then there may be some severe limitations to your case.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer