Skip to main content

Can I adjust my status from an A-2 visa to permanent residency?

New York, NY |

I came into the United States in 2006 with an A-2 visa as a diplomatic dependent. My Dad holds an A-1 visa. My visa has been renewed twice, but expired last year. I didn't bother renewing it because I was told that since my I-94 had (D/S ).

I am currently out of status and looking at the possibility of adjusting my status under section 13 for Diplomats. I would like to know if I meet the requirements listed for section 13. I just graduated college with a BA. I'm 25 years old and about to enroll for a Master's degree next spring. I have never worked illegaly in the US and have not been convicted of any crime in the US.


Attorney Answers 1


Adjustment of Status under Section 13 of the Immigration and Nationality Act is available to A-2 aliens who performed diplomatic duties and their immediate family members. However, an A-2 dependent cannot apply under section 13 on their own. Thus, only your father as an A-1 alien engaged in diplomatic duties can apply under Section 13.

While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the statements herein should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney/client relationship has been created without a formal consultation with the attorney and the attorney has agreed to accept your case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics