Can I adjust my status from an A-2 visa to permanent residency?

New York, NY |

I came into the United States in 2006 with an A-2 visa as a diplomatic dependent. My Dad holds an A-1 visa. My visa has been renewed twice, but expired last year. I didn't bother renewing it because I was told that since my I-94 had (D/S ).

I am currently out of status and looking at the possibility of adjusting my status under section 13 for Diplomats. I would like to know if I meet the requirements listed for section 13. I just graduated college with a BA. I'm 25 years old and about to enroll for a Master's degree next spring. I have never worked illegaly in the US and have not been convicted of any crime in the US.

Adjustment of Status under Section 13 of the Immigration and Nationality Act is available to A-2 aliens who performed diplomatic duties and their immediate family members. However, an A-2 dependent cannot apply under section 13 on their own. Thus, only your father as an A-1 alien engaged in diplomatic duties can apply under Section 13.

While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the statements herein should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney/client relationship has been created without a formal consultation with the attorney and the attorney has agreed to accept your case.

Recommended articles about Immigration