Can I adjust my status based on 245i ?

My US citizen brother petitioned for me , while I was still living in Mexico on 06 / 20 / 1996 . Our I - 130 was approved . I also listed my husband and my four children on the I - 130 . I was notified by NVC that a visa is now available . We entered the US in Nov . 1998 , with no permit or visa and were not inspected . My question is : Can I apply for adjustment of status in the US and pay the $ 1000 penalty ? Can my husband and children do the same ? My children were all under 18 when the application was submitted but they are all now over 21 . Thank you .

Seattle, WA -

Barbara A Marcouiller

Barbara A Marcouiller

Immigration Attorney - Bellevue, WA

Yes! Assuming you are othereise not inadmissible, you can adjust status under 256(I) and your husband. Your children may or may not be able to depending on timing/age factors. I encourage you to have a detailed thorough consultation with an experience immigration attorney to verify admissibility, priority date (NVC often notifies early to begin the process), and processing issues (you won't want to proceed with NVC if you can adjust in US)

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Immigration Attorney - Houston, TX

No. The alien must have been physically present in the United States on December 21, 2000;
- See more at: http://www.hooyou.com/245i/requirements.html#st...

You may now have another problem: "illegal presence." Before attempting to adjust status talk with an experienced immigration attorney.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

It would appear so.