Can I add an I-130 petition for my minor daughter to my wife's already approved I-130?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I didn't do two separate petitions because I know that since my daughter is a minor, she would be included in my wife's case once approved in Ciudad Juarez. But I fear that if my wife's visa is denied and she needs to apply for a waiver, my daughter will also be denied. My daughter is 8. Both of their tourist visas were cancelled because they were living in the US, but with their I-94 always current. At this point, when I'm already starting the consular process for my wife, is it possible to add a second I-130 petition for my daughter and ask that they can be both given the same interview date in Juarez? Also, if it is possible to do this, and my wife gets denied, and my daughter's approved, does my daughter has to move to the US asap, and can she visit my wife in Mexico? Thank you!

I'm a permanent resident. I will apply for citizenship until 2015. The attorney who filed the I-130 for my wife said that since I'm a permanent resident, I only needed to do one. If I file a I-130 for my daughter at this point, does that mean she will have a different priority date or could I petition that the government can respect my wife's date, which in August will be current? My wife's priority date is July 12, 2012. Thanks!

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

21

Answered . Are you a US citizen or a green card holder?

2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

11

5

Answered . "I didn't do two separate petitions because I know that since my daughter is a minor, she would be included in my wife's case once approved in Ciudad Juarez." No, there are no dependents on immediate relative petitions.

3. J Charles Ferrari

12

Answered . A new I-130 would have a new priority date. Whether separate I-130s were needed depends on whether you are a US citizen.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

4. Spojmie Ahmady Nasiri

Pro

9

Answered . In order to fully answer your question, it all depends on your current immigration status and wether you you are a US citizen or lawful permanent resident. According to the instructions on form I-130, if you are a US citizen, there are no derivatives for US citizens and this means you must file a separate Form I-130 for your wife and daughter.

5. F. J. Capriotti III

10

Answered . File a new I-130 for the girl.

Every human being needs their own petition ... don't try the "ride on mom's" papers approach.

6. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

10

Answered . You need to file an I-130 for your daughter.

7. Stephen D. Berman

9

Answered . You can file separately for your step daughter. She would have to move to the U.S., but of course she could return and visit her mother.