Can I act pro se in subpoena if I have an attorney of file?

Asked 11 months ago - Miami, FL

To prepare certain documents I don't need an attorney. Attorneys fees are not acceptable. So, can I act pro se in certain parts of the case: subpoena, standard motions, etc.?

1. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

4

1

Answered . It's been my experience that the people who say they don't need an attorney are the people who most need an attorney. This not the way to save a few dollars, as it may cost you a lot more in the long run. If the case is important to you, hire an attorney. If you don't like the current attorney's fees, try to find one with more modest fees. Good luck!

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

1

Answered . Not if you have an attorney of record or you expect to hire an attorney at some point in the case.

FWIW, pro se litigants almost always blow their own cases, thinking they know what they are doing-- your question a good case in point.

3. Samuel Cohen

2

1

Answered . You need to discuss this with your attorney. It may be fine or it may be something your attorney does not want you to do with good reason.