Can I accept partial debt repayments?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bridgewater, NJ

I run a small business. Sometimes customers who have terms will send in a partial payment to pay down their over 30 invoices instead of paying them off in full. What would happen if the customer stopped paying? Would me accepting partial payments be considered a "payment arrangement"?

1. Lawrence Michael Centanni

Pro

Answered . When a customer forwards you a check, please be sure the following language is not included "paid in full," or something to that effect. In the future, if a customer is to submit partial payment, you should consider entering into an agreement expressly establishing the said terms.

2. Michael Charles Doland

1

Answered . You can accept partial payments without prejudice to you unless they say on the reverse "full accord and satisfaction" which would indicate that cashing the check satisfies the payment obligation in full.

3. Michelle Vlach-Ing

1

Answered . Not necessarily.

You may want to consider looking at your agreements with your customers to provide that you can charge interest on late or outstanding accounts and collect attorney fees if you have to sue them to collect the amount owed. You can also add a provision that if they write "Paid In Full" or "Accord and Satisfaction" on the check that you may cash the check but it does not change their obligation to you unless you consent in writing.

You should look at cleaning up your current accounts and employing a mechanism to put you in a better position if your customers fail to uphold their end of the bargain.

Best wishes.