Can I able to rent a apartment?

Asked about 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

Dear attorneys,let me ask You important question please
I was arrested for petit theft for walking out unattentionly from store in Orange county,FL.
Later case was dismissed after Pre trial diversion.
Now I really want to expunge it with affordable lawyer.
My family was living in motel for long time and decided to move out to apartments.
But leasing office asked me and wife to fill the applications first,which costs 75 $ per person.Is it worth to fill the application and move out? Because I'm really worry if they later refuse it because of my misdemeanor.I have little amount of saving,please tell me if that's effects and loose 150$ for nothing
Thank You

1. Elmer Sanchez

13

1

Answered . Your case should be expunged. I cannot comment on what the apartment complex will say about the criminal charge, or if they will even look for it. However, this record may prevent you from obtaining employment or getting other opportunities. As such, you should strongly consider the expungement. That process is relatively inexpensive compared to opportunities lost. My firm is willing to discuss this matter with you in a free office consult. Feel free to contact us at your convenience.

2. Mark Nickolas Longwell

Pro

12

1

Answered . It will be to your advantage to expunge your record, assuming you are eligible. Fortunately, this is a relatively low fee/cost service. Whether you are eligible for expungement of your record, or to what extent this will help you, depends on many factors. You may call my office to discuss expunging your record, at 407-426-5757. Whether it is worth putting a deposit down on the apartment depends on your willingness to risk the loss of the deposit if you are declined. Please note, an expungement will not give you immediate relief-it takes 3-6 months to get a record expunged.

3. William David Umansky

Pro

10

1

Answered . Tough call. I do know apartments routinely deny people charged with theft in the past bc they somehow correlate that charge with tenants that don't pay. It takes about four to six months on average to expunge your record. Please call or email us to discuss. I realize you want to put this behind you and move on with your life!

4. Guichard St. Surin

Pro

5

1

Answered . If the charge was dismissed then you were never convicted of it. Thus, it should not affect you. But different apartment complex have different policies on charged or convicted charges. But consult a local attorney to help you with the expungement matter for your peace of mind. Good luck!