Can i a college hold your transcript because you owe money? also i heard that they cant hold your transcript, if your tryiing to

New York, NY |

finish your college education?

It has been common practice for many years for colleges to withhold a transcript due to nonpayment of a student loan or other fees to the institution. I am not aware of any exception to this requirement because someone wants to complete their education.

Hope this perspective helps!

Most private schools can. However, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies.

So depending upon the whether the school receives federal funding, it is possible that you have the right to see the records. There is nothing that prevents you from using cell phone to scan your records. It won't be an official transcript, but at least you have some evidence that in fact you attended, the courses you took and grades.

Good Luck

DO NOT RELY UPON ANYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET AS THE SOLE SOURCE OF INFORMATION AS TO HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR LEGAL PROBLEMS. The information provided here is not intended to constitute legal advice and is purely based upon the limited information provided by the inquirer. I urge each of you to seek out an attorney in your community who is familiar with your local court's requirements and practices that will sit down with you and help you formulate a financial strategy which suits the needs of you and your family. In many cases the consultation is absolutely FREE. It is only when we attorneys can meet you and ask all the questions we need to ask that we can fully advise you of your options.

Short answer- Yes.

If you owe money the college can hold your transcript--even your diploma--until you pay.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM providing you educational information NOT legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt