Can I sue my former employer for breach of confidentiality?

I gave confidential information to my employer about a peer in management who was using drugs and possibly dealing them where we worked. I was told I would stay anonymous. Several months later the peer contacted me accusing me of being a snitch and getting him fired. When I asked how he found out he admitted that upper management told him I was the one that gave the information. Now he is all over facebook telling everybody that I am a snitch and telling them what happened. Is there anything I can do?

Fort Pierce, FL -

Benjamin Harris Yormak

Benjamin Harris Yormak

Employment / Labor Attorney - Bonita Springs, FL

I agree with Mr. Tan. Unless you had a specific agreement with your employer (preferably in writing) that the employer agreed to keep all such information you disclose confidential, you likely do not have a case against your employer. As Mr. Tan said, truth is an absolute defense to libel/slander, so unless your employer disclosed FALSE information, you would probably not have a remedy.

Robert Edward Fenster

Robert Edward Fenster

Personal Injury Lawyer - Altamonte Springs, FL

Yes, if there was a breach of employment contract regarding confidentiality or complaints. However, if you still have that job and want to keep it, let the matter go and don't respond- other than in as few words as possible such as: "It bothers me to even have to consider protecting my reputation and name, but X is blaming the wrongfully blaming me for this."

Next time something like this happens, Deny, Deny, Deny and then if you have to, blame it on the accuser. An example is:

I did not.
Whoever told you is wrong.
I would never do such a thing.

This is your problem, which you caused yourself- I actually did you a favor...

Herbert J Tan

Herbert J Tan

Employment / Labor Attorney

Truth is a defense to any claim of slander or defamation. I do not see a viable claim related to their actions assuming that no written or even quasi agreement existed between you and the employer.

Herbert Tan, Esq.
E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
Website: www.tanlaws.com

The National Newark Building
744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
Newark, New Jersey 07102
(973) 735-2681 (W)
(973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
305 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, New York 10007
(888) TAN-LAWS

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)