Skip to main content

Can i hire a lawyer to get my retail theft off my record?

Lombard, IL |

I'm on supervision for one year for retail theft. it was a $6 hat.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If this is the only arrest on your record, you are eligible for expungement 2 years from the successful completion of your supervision. Contact an attorney in advance so the petition can be filed at that time.

    The information contained in this answer is offered for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute legal advice, attorney advertising, or establish an attorney-client relationship. Individuals with questions in any area of the law should directly consult a qualified attorney licensed to practice in that individual's jurisdiction.

  2. You may want to hire a lawyer to try and reduce the length of the supervision and have it terminated early if you haven't had any problems. This will shorten the waiting period for the expungement. Probably won't cost very much to hire one to try and do this.

  3. The waiting period to expunge a retail theft is 2 years from the date of sentence, provided this is all you have on your record. You can either hire an attorney or try to do the expungement yourself. The forms for this are online.

  4. Actually two years from end of the supervision, or the end of the sentence. That's why it may be a good idea to get the supervision terminated early.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics