Can i have my arrears modified

Asked over 1 year ago - Orange, CA

can i have my arrears modified they were misscalculated kids are adults now but i still have huge debt over my head when they should have adjusted it years ago when they were garnishing my unemployment checks

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Barry Ira Besser

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . What proof do you have to show the miscalculation, and why did you wait?

    Barry Besser

  2. Scott Richard Kaufman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . This seems like a maybe but as noted indirectly, those who sit on their rights at law can sometimes lose them.

  3. Rhonda Diane Ellifritz

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If the arrears are based on your failure to file a modification when you lost your job, it wasn't a miscalculation. The order doesn't change until someone files something, and it can only go back to the date of filing that motion at best. For further information, visit

    Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing,... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Gail A Balser

Not All Debts are Dischargeable

Not All Debts are Dischargeable Before filing for bankruptcy, it is important for debtors to understand that not all types of debt are eligible for discharge in bankruptcy. These debts... more

    Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

    Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


    Ask now

    26,072 answers this week

    3,060 attorneys answering

    Ask a Lawyer

    Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

    • It's FREE
    • It's easy
    • It's anonymous

    26,072 answers this week

    3,060 attorneys answering