Can I get my "Dismissed, Domestic Violence Charge" expunged off of my record?

Baltimore, OH |

We both were the victims of the police actually, and were both charged with Domestic Violence in Ohio in 2005. He who was my husband and I literally had an argument, but my mom who was on the phone with our oldest child, called the police, and the police get there and charged and arrested us both. I have a clean record, other than that DV charge. I heard I can get it expunged, especially since the judge actually dismissed the case entirely, NOLLE PROS, for both of us, being it was only an argument, not a physical fight. I don't have anything else on my record at all. Can anyone please give me step by step directions on how to get this off of my record? Thank you in advance for any advice!

In Illinois a nolle pro, which is a declaration that the prosecutor in a criminal case dropped prosecution of the criminal suit or indictment ( from Latin nolle prsequ, to be unwilling to pursue), which means that the person is eligible to expunge the ensued criminal arrest immediately.
I suppose that you may have similar legal rights to expunge it. Please follow up with a local criminal counsel for further guidance.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

In Ohio, a dismissed record can be expunged. You should privately speak with a criminal defense attorney to get the process going.

No attorney-client relationship is established via AVVO.com. The material posted by Kyle J. Bristow, Esq., is for educational purposes for prospective clients only and people should not make legal decisions based on it. You are advised not to take, or refrain from taking, any action based on what Mr. Bristow has stated on this website.

If the case was nolle'd then you can file to have the case sealed. In order to do that you must file an application to seal your record. Some courts have a form that you can do this with. If your court does not have a form you should hire an attorney to assist you. The court is not required to grant the sealing of the record and could deny you. A good attorney can reduce that risk.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
1370 North Fairfield Road
Suite C
Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
(937)426-4000 phone
attycbeck@gmail.com
www.becklawofficellc.com

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

If the information you provided is correct, you should be able to get it sealed (new terminology for expunged). I would contact a skilled criminal defense attorney in your area.