Can I get my "Dismissed, Domestic Violence Charge" expunged off of my record?

Asked about 1 year ago - Baltimore, OH

We both were the victims of the police actually, and were both charged with Domestic Violence in Ohio in 2005. He who was my husband and I literally had an argument, but my mom who was on the phone with our oldest child, called the police, and the police get there and charged and arrested us both. I have a clean record, other than that DV charge. I heard I can get it expunged, especially since the judge actually dismissed the case entirely, NOLLE PROS, for both of us, being it was only an argument, not a physical fight. I don't have anything else on my record at all. Can anyone please give me step by step directions on how to get this off of my record? Thank you in advance for any advice!

1. Kyle J Bristow

1

1

Answered . In Ohio, a dismissed record can be expunged. You should privately speak with a criminal defense attorney to get the process going.

2. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

1

1

Answered . If the case was nolle'd then you can file to have the case sealed. In order to do that you must file an application to seal your record. Some courts have a form that you can do this with. If your court does not have a form you should hire an attorney to assist you. The court is not required to grant the sealing of the record and could deny you. A good attorney can reduce that risk.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    1370 North Fairfield Road
    Suite C
    Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
    (937)426-4000 phone
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

3. Jesse Michael Schmidt

Answered . If the information you provided is correct, you should be able to get it sealed (new terminology for expunged). I would contact a skilled criminal defense attorney in your area.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . In Illinois a nolle pro, which is a declaration that the prosecutor in a criminal case dropped prosecution of the criminal suit or indictment ( from Latin nolle prsequ, to be unwilling to pursue), which means that the person is eligible to expunge the ensued criminal arrest immediately.
    I suppose that you may have similar legal rights to expunge it. Please follow up with a local criminal counsel for further guidance.