Can I get military based green card or citizenship?

Asked about 2 years ago - Yonkers, NY

I am on F-1 student visa in the US. I have been here in US for more than 4 years. I have excellent English language skills, healthy. Plus, I am MD from Armenia. I know Armenian, Russian fluently. I passed Medical Board exams with very high scores in the US. My medical residency did not work out because they wanted green card. I want to get my green card through military and then serve as a doctor in Military. I can be just a soldier in the beginning and then after I fulfill the requirement I will serve in the military as a doctor. Please tell me if this is possible. What options do I have? I am single and I don't want to get married.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I suggest you contact a military recruitment office. There are expedited paths to citizenship for serving in the military.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I do not believe that the US military is allowed to let foreign students join.

    Did you consider a J visa for your residency?

    Meet with an attorney to explore more options.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel - Capriotti International Law
    We are not geographically limited ==> Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Unless the military makes an exemption, you must be at least a legal permanent resident to join.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,661 answers this week

3,064 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,661 answers this week

3,064 attorneys answering