Can I get a police report two days after the accident?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I hit a car coming in a opposite direction. She supposedly to stop in the middle of the street before get in the parking lot and wait. However; she stop and turn the wheel too fast and get into traffic which was heavy. So it was inevitably to hit her. I couldn't stop because she jump suddenly. Because I wanted to avoid dealing with attorneys and lack of time, I didn't file a police report. I took her word that was her fault. But now her insurance are denying liabilities because she saying that was my fault, even though the police said that was her fault, but there is no report. My car is in the street and hasn't been repair. What can I do in order for this insurance to take responsibilities. I am losing days from work, now I feel painful and eventually I going to lose my job.

1. Malosack Berjis

6

Answered . I highly, highly doubt it.

2. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

6

Answered . Yes. You must go to the police station and file a counter report (a report made at the counter). You may be able have the traffic department or watch commander determine what Officer handled you matter. If 911 was called there will be a call log identifying the Officer. Put that info in the counter report and ask the traffic supervisor if the Officer can add a narrative supplement to your counter report.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

Answered . Two days? I doubt it. ultimately, you can get the report. Hire a personal injury attorney to start swinging on your behalf!

4. John K Lassen

7

Answered . Yes. Go down to police station and get a "counter report"

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630
  5. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

5

Answered . Unfortunately, no. Police reports take time to prepare. If you told the officers that no one was hurt and there wasn't significant property damage, they may not even prepare a report. You can request one now but, that takes time as well. This amount of time varies depending upon the location of the accident and the agency (e.g. for a freeway accident, CHP can usually do a report within 10 days or so but, for accidents on surface streets in the City of Los Angeles, LAPD may take months for a full report). If you were injured, you should seek PROMPT medical attention and consult and retain an attorney to look at the facts of the case and argue your side regarding liability. Witness statements are also very helpful in this type of scenario.

6. Robert Max Klein

Pro

5

Answered . The time it takes to get a traffic collision report depends on which police department responded. If your accident is in Los Angeles, and it is the LAPD, you can expect to wait 2 to 4 months to get a report (and you cannot go to a desk and pick it up.) If it is California Highway Patrol, it should be ready in about 2 weeks. And I believe you can pick it up from the correct station. By the way, even lawyers have a hard time getting a police report from the LAPD faster.

If you know the dept. and it is not LAPD, call and see how long it will take.

Pro

5

Answered . Go to the police station to get a counter report.